Swedish: It was to be expected.

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Fra Parvus, Oct 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fra Parvus Member

Russian - Russia
    Hi,

I'm trying to say this: "Well, it was to be expected. How many Swedish-speaking people were you hoping to find there?". I've come up with this: "Nå, det var att vänta. Hur många svensktalande hoppades du på att hitta där?". Is it Swedish or something just pretending to be Swedish?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  2. MattiasNYC Senior Member

New York
    Swedish
    lol... It's 90% Swedish :)

Seriously though....

In this case "it was to be expected" gets translated as "det var väntat", or possibly "det var förväntat" though I think it is less common. I have not lived in Sweden for a while but if memory serves me it is more common to translate "expectation" into "förväntan", and maybe someone can confirm if "väntat" in this case is simply a shortening of "förväntat".

Otherwise it looks fine I think. Anyone else?

3. Segorian Senior Member

Icelandic & Swedish
    I agree that det var väntat is used much more frequently than det var förväntat, and I don't think the former is a shortened-down version of the latter. At least I don't remember to have heard det var förväntat until maybe 20 years ago, whereas det var väntat was certainly in common use long before that.

I think it's safe to say that most people would simply say Hur många svensktalande hoppades du hitta där?

4. MattiasNYC Senior Member

New York
    Swedish