Swedish: Människor Usage

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by garydpoole, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hej !

In the course of my learning, I've encountered the following exert:

...de står på stationen i Karlstad. Där finns många människor.

I'm curious as to why in this context, the word, människor has been used to say, I assume, ...there are many people, when the consensus within the dictionaries that I've used, translate människor as humans or man ?

However, If I lookup the translation of people, I always get folk.

Just wondering why the above exert didn't use folk as a generalisation for people ?

Many thanks

Gary

2. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Hejsan! Yes, människor often means "people".
    But you could also use folk here.
    Där finns många människor./ Där finns mycket folk.
    To make you even more confused I will add that I would have written: Där är många människor/mycket folk. But I have never seen many people at the train station in Karlstad! :)
    Hoppas att dina studier går som på räls!
    Anna

3. Lugubert Senior Member

To add to the confusion, I'd (probably) prefer Där finns det många människor./ Där finns det mycket folk. I guess that this det counts as a "formal subject", making the people an object.

4. Thank you for your replies !

So would you say that one was more commonly used than the other ? Hopefully it would be folk as this is easier to remember !

I`ve only just started to explore Swedish existential sentences and to be honest, I'm still unsure when one should / could use där / det finns or där är. More research needed I think !

Kind regards

Gary

5. Lugubert Senior Member

To my ears, "Där är många människor." sounds very Swenglish. That might be influenced by a former (British) colleague, who will literally translate word by word to say "Jag är klar när du är." instead of my preferred "Jag är klar när du är det." (In most other cases, their Swedish sounds fairly indigenous.)

6. So in this case, I'm assuming that det is standing in for ready - I'm ready when you're (ready) ?

However, as someone who is just starting out learning Swedish, the need for det in this example isn't immediately obvious. Have you any advice for how one might recognise the need for the det in circumstances such as this ?

Kind regards

Gary