Swedish: mota in

normordm

Arabic - Sudanese
I don't get the bold part of this sentence:

Först och främst kan det vara klargörande att undersöka om det är andra som har motat in en i den här rollen.

• MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Hah! Good one! I honestly have a difficult time coming up with a clear translation to English. I'll give it a try though;

To me "mota" is an act that has the sense of force. I think it can be for example both to "push" something in some direction, or the gentler "steer" which implies more an action of 'guiding' which I think implies less force, or it can even imply to simply "block" something.

For example there is this idiom in Swedish, "Mota Olle i grind", which can be translated more literally as "To block Olle at the gate" (Olle being a person). The visual is that Olle is about to go through an opening, a gate, and we block Olle to prevent that from happening. When used however it isn't literally that, but instead "Olle" represents something that is going the wrong direction and we feel we need to stop this something before it is too late, before it is actually through the gate. The gate is therefore the critical point where things have gone too far.

So that's one sense of "mota". In your case "har motat in...i" to me implies more of an either forceful push or at the very least a steering into something. And as above I would expect it to not be literally physical but rather perhaps psychological. I don't know what the context is, but I could imagine the sentence describing a case where a person has ended up in the 'role' of making only unpleasant announcements within a group or organization for example. And that might perhaps not have been the choice of that person but rather they were steered into that role by actions of other people, perhaps through scheduling or some manipulation.

I guess I should ask for context... :)

normordm

Arabic - Sudanese
    but rather perhaps psychological
    That's exactly right. The context is actually a psychologist answering a question on the psykologi guiden forum here.

You explained it very well though, tack.

< Previous | Next >