Swedish: mysa på

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Gavril, Oct 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    How would you interpret the phrase mysa på in the following sentence?

På söndagen drack jag kaffe och myste på sommaren.

Also, would you say that mysa på a phrasal verb in this case, or is it a transparent combination of mysa and ?

(I have found the phrases mysa åt and mysa mot in dictionaries, but not mysa på.)

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Hejsan!

It's just mysa.
    The sentence is odd with two adverbials of time: på söndagen = "on Sunday", and på sommaren = "in the summer".

Mysa means being relaxed and feeling cosy (and warm) and enjoying the moment. Mysa i soffan. Mysa framför brasan = "cuddle up in front of the fire."
    Mysbyxor= sweatpants that make you feel that way. Gå runt och mysa i morgonrock.

If you want to keep mysa in the sentence I suggest that you add an adverbial of place instead:
    På söndagen drack jag kaffe och myste i solen/ i köket/på verandan/ i soffan.

If you want to keep sommaren:
    På söndagen drack jag kaffe och njöt av sommaren.

Myste
    is the correct form but I use the more colloquial form mös. Jag satt och mös i solen.

Ha en mysig dag!

3. Wilma_Sweden

Wilma_Sweden Senior Member

Lund, Sweden
    Swedish (Scania)
    Another suggestion: På söndagen drack jag kaffe och myste i sommarvädret / sommarvärmen / sommarsolen etc.

4. DerFrosch

DerFrosch Senior Member

Where did you find this sentence, Gavril? I'd go even further than Anna who called it "odd" above; it doesn't make any sense.

5. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    I wrote it based on another, longer sentence that I wanted to simplify. (I didn't make up the phrase "mysa på sommaren", though.) That probably explains your impression of it. :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  6. Segorian Senior Member

Icelandic & Swedish
    Maybe that's where the problem is. I had an idea about how to construe myste på sommaren so as to make the sentence meaningful, but I think it's probably better if you can give us the original sentence.

7. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    The context of the original quote is a consumer study about different seafoods.

8. Segorian Senior Member

Icelandic & Swedish
    I think that settles it. We no longer have the double adverbial of time, and Anna's explanation applies.

9. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Not to get stuck on this detail, but isn't när man har tid ... technically another adverbial of time, alongside på sommaren?

10. Segorian Senior Member

Icelandic & Swedish
    I think not. If I remember correctly, när/'when' counts as a conjunction in this usage.

11. myšlenka Senior Member

Norwegian
    Gavril is right. The subordinate clause as a whole, när man har tid, is an adverbial (of time). If you only consider the word när, it is a subjunction in this case.

12. Wilma_Sweden

Wilma_Sweden Senior Member

Lund, Sweden
    Swedish (Scania)
    To summarise: the verb 'mysa' is in the original context intransitive. Mysa doesn't appear in any phrasal verb that I can think of. I don't have a problem with the time adverbials in the source context, as 'på sommaren' modifies both actions in the subordinate clause, and we can move it to prove it: 'när man på sommaren har tid till att skala färska räkor och mysa' means the same as 'när man har tid till att skala färska räkor och mysa på sommaren' or even 'när man har tid på sommaren till att skala färska räkor och mysa'.

13. DerFrosch

DerFrosch Senior Member

"Mysa" is always intransitive.