Swedish: Originalmössan

Kajeetah

French - France
Hi!
I have trouble understanding the "original" bit here. Dialogue from a TV series, a policeman who knows everything about everything describing a hat from an evidence box:
"Originalmössan. Handstickad. Bred...bred invikningskant här. Det var ju Stenmarks kusin Barbro som designade den."

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I think I got it, it just means it's not a counterfeit hat. Right?

Last edited:
  • Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    It is probably not a question of counterfeit or not. The actual ‘original hat’, hand-knitted by Barbro and existing as such in only one copy, is worn by Ingemar in this picture:
    1572951389364.png

The design was later mass-produced and found its way to a museum:
    1572951341794.png

Ingemar later wore many other hats, but this one is considered the original and best, and is probably the one referred to in your quote. Originalmössan thus refers to the original design.

Kajeetah

French - France
    Thanks a lot!
    The problem is that "my" hat is this one (very nice too :D)
    1572973828325.png

Maybe it just means it's an original design by Barbro?

Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    “Your” hat is indeed also a ‘Stenmarksmössa’, but not the original one (in the sense ‘first’). It’s one that he used later and was designed and (originally!) knitted by his mother, Gunborg Stenmark. So it is an original design, just not by Barbro.

Kajeetah

French - France
    Thanks again for your explanation! Then I guess it's a mistake from the series writers (Barbro instead of Gunborg) But I can't rewrite the dialogues... I'll try to figure something out.

Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    You're welcome! It certainly seems like the writers made a mistake. Of course it's possible that the mistake is mine, but I find that unlikely because what I described above is how I remembered the whole thing, and I was then able to confirm it with a little googling.

Kajeetah

French - France
    Can I pm you about another thing I don't understand? I can't post it here because it's not a vocabulary question.

< Previous | Next >