Swedish: page x of y

• jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
    Sid. 3 av 60 (sid. tre av sextio) - sid. is abbreviated, but for some reason, people say that also when speaking, for example "Gå till sid tre" (=go to page three). You can say "sida tre" (or "sidan", which would be "the page").

Sasquatch

english, swedish
    Sid. 3 av 60 (sid. tre av sextio) - sid. is abbreviated, but for some reason, people say that also when speaking, for example "Gå till sid tre" (=go to page three). You can say "sida tre" (or "sidan", which would be "the page").
    Just a little side note...:
    I've never heard anyone say "gå till sid tre". I've met people who use "gå till sidan 3" and "gå till sida tre".
    Maybe that sid-thing is restricted to people who speak with a Finnish accent? Or maybe it depends on what part of Sweden you're from, though I have never heard a Swede use "sid".
    Just saying, 'cause "sid tre" sounds very strange in these half-Swedish ears of mine ;)

jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
    Oh, perhaps I'm wrong. Or maybe it's just in classroom settings that teachers say "sid x"... :). Or, as you say, maybe it is just lazy us who let it stay at "sid" :p

Pando

Finland: Swedish, Finnish, English
    I think the correct classroom sentence would be "Slå upp böckerna på sidan 33 (trettiotre)." (Open your books on page 33)

So, "sidan 3 av 60" is correct. :)
    Perhaps it's just another case of Swenglish, but in my ears sida 33 sounds better. But that might as well come from the fact that if you translate the sentences word-for-word sidan 33 would be the page 33 whereas sida 33 would be page 33.

Lugubert

Perhaps it's just another case of Swenglish, but in my ears sida 33 sounds better. But that might as well come from the fact that if you translate the sentences word-for-word sidan 33 would be the page 33 whereas sida 33 would be page 33.
    It is "sidan x av y". For a Swedish word professional, anything else (except "sid. x av y" to use the same number of characters as in "page", for example if some stupid programmer's software can't accept five letters - I'm not joking, such things happen) is unthinkable.

< Previous | Next >