Swedish: räven

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Kajeetah, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kajeetah

Kajeetah Senior Member

Belgium
    French - France
    Hi!
    I hope my question is not out of scope of this forum. I'm writing the French version of a Swedish animated movie, via an English translation. One of the characters is a fox, and the English translation says "she" referring to it. I just want to check if here the character is female or if "räven" is always a feminine word, regarless of whether the animal is male or female. Here are a few lines:

- Aha, du menar räven?
    - Just hon. Den smarta, den elaka.
    - Ja men nej, nej, henne har jag inte sett. Hon äter väl inte nötter?

Thank you very much in advance!

2. Patrickb97

Patrickb97 New Member

Polish
    Hej! I believe that words in Swedish have no gender like in French and other languages in terms of the words being feminine/masculine. From what I have learnt it is either common or neuter, and they are genders only in grammatical sense. Probably a good idea to wait for a native speaker to respond though.

I think it could be replaced with hen, though I'm not sure.

I'm interested in what native speakers have to say.

3. Kajeetah

Kajeetah Senior Member

Belgium
    French - France
    Thank you! That's what I thought. In the meantime I discovered the character IS female. Not good news for my translation into French...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  4. Cliff Barnes Senior Member

German
    Couldn't you use "renarde" for a female fox?

5. Kajeetah

Kajeetah Senior Member

Belgium
    French - France
    The thing is, "la renarde" would be only this particular female fox. If it was a male fox in the story, "le renard" would refer to this particular fox AND to the animal species, which represents a threat for all the characters (rabbits, squirrels etc) I don't know if my explanation is clear. "renard" (masc.) sounds more like the baddie, as a species, than "renarde" Like "the devil". The ultimate threat. :D
    Maybe it's not that important, but as it's a movie for very young kids, certain things must be very straightforward.

6. MattiasNYC Senior Member

New York
    Swedish
    Patrick is right. "Fox" is neither masculine nor feminine in Swedish.

7. Kajeetah

Kajeetah Senior Member

Belgium
    French - France
    Thank you very much for the confirmation!