Swedish: rycket

normordm

Arabic - Sudanese
Was watching a movie when I came across the question:
Vet du om det finns nån guldsmedsaffär som är öppen nu vid halv tre-rycket?
As far as I know "ryck" means sudden movement or jerk. What does it mean in this question?

tack

• Alatius

Swedish
    As far as I know "ryck" means sudden movement or jerk. What does it mean in this question?
    The normal meaning is indeed "jerk", "sudden movement", or "(quick) pull". But here we are dealing with another meaning, which I guess is pretty clear from the context: I would say it is here a more colloquial and much less common synonym to "tid". So "vid halv tre-rycket" = "vid halv tre-tiden". Adding "-tiden" or "-rycket" makes the time less precise: "around half past two" (i.e., not necessarily exactly half past two, but at this general time of the day).

You can also say "vid halv tre-snåret", which means the same thing. It too is colloquial, and probably more common than "-rycket". At least it feels more natural than "-rycket" to me. Perhaps there are regional differences at play here.

Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    You can also say "vid halv tre-snåret", which means the same thing. It too is colloquial, and probably more common than "-rycket". At least it feels more natural than "-rycket" to me. Perhaps there are regional differences at play here.
    I agree that -rycket is the more colloquial of the two. I have a hunch that it started as Stockholm slang; at least it was in use there in the 1950s. Compounds with -snåret are much older and date from before 1900 at the very least.

< Previous | Next >