Swedish: ryckt med armarna och krängt med kroppen

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Gavril, Dec 15, 2017.

  1. Gavril Senior Member

    English, USA
    A legal document contains the following description of the crime:

    How would you translate the highlighted verb phrases here?

    Based on the dictionary definitions I've found, my best guess is that rycka med armarna means "to make grabbing motions with one's arms", and that kränga med kroppen means "to lurch (about) with one's body". But this doesn't obviously fit the profile of "violent resistance" (våldsamt motstånd), though perhaps it could depending on exactly how the person did it.

    Thanks for any assistance
  2. Segorian Senior Member

    Icelandic & Swedish
    I guess that would be ‘thrashed his arms’ and ‘writhed’ (or maybe ‘contorted his body’).
  3. MattiasNYC Senior Member

    New York
    Well, ryckt med armarna definitelyl isn't making grabbing motions. "rycka" to me translates more closely to "twitch" or "jerk". So "ryckig rörelse" for example would be close to "jerky motion". So I'd say "thrashing" might be close, or anything that seems suitable in this context... "thrash", "jerk" etc.

    "krängt med kroppen" might translate better to "twisted his body"?... To me those two words seem convey the action fairly well; arms jerking and body twisting... euphemisms aside of course.
  4. Swedish Anna

    Swedish Anna Member

    Swedish, Sweden
    Hejsan! I agree with Mattias that rycka means "twitch" or "jerk" in this context. Krängt med kroppen could perhaps be translated as "wriggled".
  5. MattiasNYC Senior Member

    New York
    I like "wriggle"!
  6. Gavril Senior Member

    English, USA
    Thanks for the answers so far.

    If these actions are meant to be "våldigt motstånd" (as in the original context), then I wouldn't use the term "wriggle" to translate kränga (even if it is technically accurate) unless the other verb rycka can be translated with a term that has a stronger implication of violence. Or is "våldigt motstånd" a broader term than I'm making it out to be?
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  7. MattiasNYC Senior Member

    New York
    Well, what I meant to say was that I agree with Anna that "wriggle" might be better translated into from kränga.

    I really think your pursuit here falls into two separate categories; one being how we can translate those Swedish words more or less correctly, and the other being whether or not it constitutes violent resistance specifically, which in turn I guess can be a matter of legal definitions and precedent or just common sense.

    So on that second note I'd say that it very well might be that the term "våldigt" is rather broadly defined. Perhaps there is a tendency to define physical resistance to arrest as violent for far less than what we 'regular' people would consider violence. If a person is jerking his arms and wriggling his torso to get out of a grip that I'm applying then is that really "violence"? I'm not so sure I'd go that far personally, but I'm also pretty sure law enforcement and some courts would. I mean, look at the situation in the US regarding "resisting arrest". There's a difference between resisting arrest specifically, and instinctively trying to get out of physical pressure that causes great pain - in other words if someone shoves a knee down on my neck while another is twisting my arm my natural instinctual response is going to be to make that stop, whether or not I'm being arrested. It's just about stopping the pain. Yet the charge is typically resisting arrest, not "trying to stop the pain". So in principle it could be a similar thing where the definition used by law enforcement and the courts - either by law or practice - is a bit off compared to what we think is reasonable.


    I just found this on Wikipedia:

  8. Gavril Senior Member

    English, USA

    Whoops. I just fixed the last post, thanks.

Share This Page