Swedish: sidlik


Senior Member
English, USA
One more excerpt (for now) from the physiotherapist's assessment of a patient with shoulder problems:

Rörlighet: [...] Abduktion till ca 175 gr, utåtrotation m armen intill sidan sidlikt till ca 75 gr.

"Mobility: [...] Abduction up to about 175°; outward rotation with arm at his side [??] up to about 75°."

"sidlik" = ?

Thanks again,

The noun sidlik / sidolik appears to be some type of nautical term: one dictionary defines it as, "smäcker tross som sys till ett segels kant för att förstärka denna." My question here is about the adjective, not the noun.
Last edited:
  • I think this is most likely a typo for sidligt. Missing from most dictionaries, but the SAOB has this:


    So, sidligt: ‘laterally’.
    In medical journals the words sidlik, sidlikt, sidlika means both sides of the body. In the text in post #1 it means that the patient can rotate the arm outward when it's hanging by the side to about 75 degrees, and can do that with both the left and the right arm in the same way.
    Have seen these words used in patient case records for more than 40 years.
    In medical journals the words sidlik, sidlikt, sidlika means both sides of the body.
    Thanks! I withdraw my explanation, which was clearly based on a faulty assumption.

    Would you agree that both ‘bilateral(ly)’ and ‘symmetrical(ly)’ could be used for this in English, or does that depend on the context? I ask partly because after studying some examples of how the word is used, it often seems to refer to something that is the case non only on both sides of the body, but on both sides of the body equally (as you indeed indicate yourself).
    The 'sidlikt' is often used when doing a neurological exam, to see if a patient can do the same movement(s), and/or distinguish touch the same way on both the left and right side of the body and the face. If a patient have had a stroke they won't be able to do/feel things bilaterally and symmetrically, one side will be weaker. I'd say that for something to be 'sidlikt' there has to be all three ('directions' for lack of a better word), bilateral, symmetrical, and equal.

    In English I would guess it's a bit depending on context whether bilateral, or symmetrical is the best choice. For example 'rör sidlikt på armar och ben' would be 'moves arms and legs symmetrically', while in 'sidlik känsel för beröring i armar och ben' then 'bilateral sensitivity for touch equal in arms and legs' would be better.