Swedish: tålig vs tålmodig, vanligen vs vanligtvis

< Previous | Next >

normordm

Arabic - Sudanese
What's the difference between tålig and tålmodig? In general, there seem to be a few adjectives that have synonyms with a few more letters like vanligen and vanligtvis. Is there any way to make sense of the endings (-modig, - tvis)

Tack

• MattiasNYC

Swedish
    "tålig" and "tålmodig" are actually not really synonyms. The former is closer to the word "durable" (stuff), and the latter "patient" (living things). So I'm not sure you can apply a rule for endings to those words.

Can't really help you with "vanlig" unfortunately.

jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
    In theory, tålig and tålmodig can be synonymous. Tålig, however, also has a distinct meaning and is in practice mostly used in the second sense, just as MattiasNYC already mentioned.

-modig isn't a suffix, it's -ig (tålamod>tålmodig) that marks an adjective. For adverbs, -(ig)en, and -(ig)tvis figure in some words. Sometimes only one form is possible: uppenbarligen, uppsåtligen, avsiktligen (although it's more common to say e.g. med uppsåt, avsiktligt) or naturligtvis. I'm not aware of the/any rules for this. Anyway I can only think of two adverbials (disjuncts) where there is that dual option: möjligtvis/möjligen and vanligtvis/vanligen. These are synonymous, but there are sometimes stylistic differences.

< Previous | Next >