Swedish: the feeling of touching a metal

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Språkliga Möten, Nov 8, 2013.

  1. Språkliga Möten Senior Member

    When I am in an elevator and is about to touch a floor button, and when I am at a "garderob" and is about to hang my clothes there, and touch the metal, sometimes I get this sudden feeling of "an electric" which can be a bit disturbing. It lasts very short, and it doesn't hurt much, but it happens many times.

    What is this phenomenon called in Swedish?
  2. NoMoreMrIceGuy Senior Member

    It's called 'static electricity' in English and seems to to translate to statisk elektricitet, but wait for a native to confirm.
  3. Silver_Biscuit

    Silver_Biscuit Senior Member

    English - UK
    In English it's called a "static shock" when static electricity is discharged through you like that (static electricity itself does not have to refer to the shock). Maybe you can find it in your dictionary with that?
  4. DerFrosch

    DerFrosch Senior Member

    The equivalent of static shock is elektrisk stöt, which we in informally always shorten to stöt. The construction normally used is få en stöt, so in order to describe what happened to you, you could say "Jag fick en stöt".

Share This Page