Swedish to English: Skyddsombud - huvudskyddsombud.

MetalMarianne

Chile, Spanish & German
Hi!

I know what skyddsombud and huvudskyddsombud is in Swedish, but I´m looking for the right word in American English. Does anybody know in here?
Wikipedia has only links to Norwegian articles. Eur-lex has no answer. I really don´t know where else to search for it.

I could say "trade union representative" for skyddsombud, but that sounds really lame (to me).

• raumar

Norwegian
    The Swedish Work Environment Authority (Arbetsmiljöverket) uses "safety representative" and "chief safety representative" for "skyddsombud" and "huvudskyddsombud" at its English-language website:
    Safety representatives - Arbetsmiljöverket

In the UK, the term seems to be "health and safety representative":
    Health and Safety representatives

But your question is about American English, and I don't know whether the position as "skyddsombud" ("verneombud" in Norwegian) actually exists in the US. If not, "safety representative" might not be understood, and it might be a good idea to use some extra words to explain that the "safety representative" is the employees’ elected representative in work environment questions.

Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    The Swedish Work Environment Authority (Arbetsmiljöverket) uses "safety representative" and "chief safety representative" for "skyddsombud" and "huvudskyddsombud" at its English-language website:
    Yes, “safety representative” is sometimes used in Europe. In an American context, “safety delegate” or “safety and health delegate” is probably a safer bet, see for example here.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Well, the word is used in other languages as well, including English:

Ombudsman - Wikipedia

Would that work?
    Ombudsman in English is not the same as Swedish skyddsombud: " An ombudsman budsperson, ombud, or public advocate is an official who is charged with representing the interests of the public by investigating and addressing complaints of maladministration or a violation of rights. "

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Ombudsman in English is not the same as Swedish skyddsombud: " An ombudsman budsperson, ombud, or public advocate is an official who is charged with representing the interests of the public by investigating and addressing complaints of maladministration or a violation of rights. "
    At least in Norwegian Ombudsmann or Ombud is a title of a state official, with prerogatives like those described in the English definition above.
    Skyddsombud is called Verneombud in Norwegian, and is a representative of the staff taking care of health and security at work.