Swedish: "to favour" someone

scampsemz

Français - France
Hello =)

I am trying to translate an english text, it talks about the place of the surveillance cameras at school, but I am stuck in one point, in this sentence :

"It favours the good students", how would you translate the verb "to favor" in swedish with the third person, singular ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • sindridah

Icelandic
    This nordic forum covers five languages: Swedish,Danish,Norwegian,Icelandic,Faroese so please determine which language we're talking about here

Tjahzi

Swedish (Göteborg)
    There are a number of ways to express the above meaning, depending on the definitions of "good" and "favours". If you by "good" mean "skilled" and want to be unspecific in terms of how they are favoured, I'd say Det gynnar de duktiga studenterna.

etaro

Swedish
    Hello =)

I am trying to translate an english text, it talks about the place of the surveillance cameras at school, but I am stuck in one point, in this sentence :

"It favours the good students", how would you translate the verb "to favor" in swedish with the third person, singular ?

Thanks.
    See Tjahzis answer.

I on the other hand interprets "good" in this case as "well behaved" rather than "skilled" as we're talking about surveillance. The translation should then be:
    "Det gynnar de studenter som sköter sig" ("It benefits the students that behave").

< Previous | Next >