Swedish: Ulltanter

Velemyš

Czech - Czech Republic
Hej allihopa,

could anyone tell me what an "ulltant" is? I understand it's someone who's around sheep shearing - maybe a spinner?

Thanks!

• winenous

English - British
    Context would be useful.

The only google hit I can find (apart from this thread) is an FB post "En ulltant kräver sin Harris-tweedhatt", with a picture of a woman wearing a tweed hat, and various hashtags relating to Swedish wool. From that I am guessing it means "wool aunt", which possibly makes as much sense in Swedish as it does in English. An aunt, or aunt-like person, who likes wool, or who knits?

raumar

Norwegian
    This seems to be just a compound noun, "ull" + "tant". I believe "tant" in Swedish does not necessarily mean "aunt", but rather "elderly or middle-aged female relative", or just "elderly or middle-aged woman". Maybe a Swedish speaker could confirm that?

Context would be useful.

Yes, we need context and preferably a source. While we are waiting for that, my guess would be that this is meant to describe a woman who uses wool for making handicraft products. It could be spinning and knitting, or feltmaking, or whatever you do with wool. But without more context, this is just a guess.

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    More like "elderly or middle-aged woman"... not necessarily a relative.

The combination of wool and "tant" doesn't necessarily immediately imply a clear meaning to me. Could be a woman who likes wool or it could maybe be a derogatory term for old ladies who like old-fashioned fabrics... I'm making this up without context.. it's not clear what its intended meaning is.

Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    Although my first thought was that this was derogatory, a little research shows that the word simply designates a woman who likes to make things out of wool, like the Instagram user below:

1604065748296.png

Velemyš

Czech - Czech Republic
    Hi everyone and thanks for your replies! Unfortunately there is no more context, a guy is just describing sheep shearing and he says that the neighbours always come to watch and the ulltanter come and children want to help and that's it. So I think it's probably the ladies from the village who like to knit who come to get some wool (while originally I thought it was maybe a part of some kind of an ancient village ritual but apparently not :D ).