Swedish: Varför la du märke till honom?

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by normordm, Jun 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. normordm

normordm Member

Arabic - Sudanese
    I was reading a text on LingQ, and I saw "Varför la du märke till honom?" which translated to "Why did you notice him?". So my question is what does la mean in this sentence? I saw in another thread (here) that it was a shortening of väl used in the Gothenburg accent, but that doesn't seem to fit here. Like does it mean "Well why did you notice him"? In that case, can I replace la with nå?

Also typing "Why did you notice him?" into Google Translate got me "Varför märkte du honom?", but typing in "notice" got me "lägga märke till" so what's the difference between att märka and att lägga märke till?

Much thanks

2. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Hejsan! Yes, "notice" is lägga märke till, and that is what you are dealing with here :) The imperfect form of lägga is lade or la. So you can write both: Varför lade du märke till honom? or Varför la du märke till honom?

3. normordm

normordm Member

Arabic - Sudanese
    Tusen tack :D

4. Swedish Anna

Swedish Anna Member

Sweden
    Swedish, Sweden
    Märka och lägga märka till both mean notice.
    In some sentences both work:
    Jag la inte märke till att det hade börjat regna / Jag märkte inte att det hade börjat regna.
    But the question Varför märkte du honom? sounds odd o me. It makes me think of the other meaning of märka - "put a mark on".
    "Why did you mark him?"