Sweet potato slips

< Previous | Next >

Tizona

Castellano de Castilla
Mr. Swiss is in no rush, and Filaree’s other specialties include organic asparagus crowns, sweet potato slips and seed potatoes.

I just found out that "slip" is a synonym for "cutting", a word I'm very familiar with in the context of indoor and outdoor plants (propagate by cuttings, a cutting of monstera, rooted cuttings...).
So now I have a few questions:
- Can I say "propagate by slips"?
- Is "cutting" more related to houseplants and "slips" to food plants or not really?
- Apart from "sweet potato slips", is there any other plant that always goes with "slip"?

Thanks

• Chez

English English
    Interesting. I've never heard of sweet potato slips (and I'm a gardener, including veg, but I've never grown sweet potatoes). Yes, obviously this Filaree sells vegetables to be planted and grown. I don't know if anything else is sold as 'seed' (as in seed potatoes, not normal tiny seeds) and clearly I don't know anything else that is sold as 'slips'. Some of these names in agriculture are very old and traditional, so I guess that's the traditional name for sweet potato 'cuttings'.

Tizona

Castellano de Castilla
    I don't know if anything else is sold as 'seed' (as in seed potatoes, not normal tiny seeds) and clearly I don't know anything else that is sold as 'slips'.
    According to same article, garlic:

Filaree Garlic Farm has been certified since 1978, and garlic has been grown there for about 35 years, with 30 acres — a projected harvest of some 20,000 pounds — currently about to come due.
    All of it will be sold as “seed garlic,” as the bulbs are called.

Myridon

English - US
    While I was googling, I came across the term "pineapple slips" but it doesn't involve the same part of the plant.

Tizona

Castellano de Castilla
    While I was googling, I came across the term "pineapple slips" but it doesn't involve the same part of the plant.
    Mmmm... interesting: it seems you can also propagate pineapple by slips:

Slips are the tiny plantlets that grow at the base of the fruit on the fruit stalk.

< Previous | Next >