sweet smoky haze

philchinamusical

Chinese-Mandarin and Shanghai dialect
Hi, everyone.

I am a little bit lost with a phrase in the following sentence:
There was a progressive trio creating quite a ripple in the sweet smoky haze of the live rock circuit called Quatermass.
I googled but failed to find any reference. Perhaps it's just a simple combination of three words, but I am not sure about it. Even if it is, I am not sure what it describes. It will be greatly appreciated if you would kindly help me with this.

Oh, again, it's from Andrew Lloyd Webber's autobiography.

• owlman5

English-US
    This is vague language that tells us that "the live rock circuit" has a "sweet smoky haze", philchinamusical.

That may be a vague reference to the smoke-filled barrooms where rock bands played. But there generally isn't anything "sweet" about the smoky haze in a barroom. To me, the language really doesn't mean anything specific. Instead, it tells me that Lloyd Webber has some sort of nostalgic feeling for the live rock circuit of that era.

philchinamusical

This is vague language that tells us that "the live rock circuit" has a "sweet smoky haze", philchinamusical.

That may be a vague reference to the smoke-filled barrooms where rock bands played. But there generally isn't anything "sweet" about the smoky haze in a barroom. To me, the language really doesn't mean anything specific. Instead, it tells me that Lloyd Webber has some sort of nostalgic feeling for the live rock circuit of that era.
    Thank you so much... I didn't think about a bar but your vivid description showed me the picture and I think that is what he's referring to.:thumbsup:

owlman5

English-US
    There is when much of the smoke comes from burning hashish. Its aroma is distinctly sweet.
    You have a point. For some reason, I didn't think of hash-bars as I considered places that these bands might have played at.

Even though the law in Colorado is pretty lenient regarding the use of marijuana and its derivatives, people would still get quickly thrown out of any licensed liquor establishment out here if they attempted to fire one up while they were anywhere in the building. I imagine that the policy is much the same in large parts of Europe. Maybe Lloyd Webber was reminiscing about Amsterdam:D

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    Even though the law in Colorado is pretty lenient regarding the use of marijuana and its derivatives, people would still get quickly thrown out of any licensed liquor establishment out here if they attempted to fire one up while they were anywhere in the building. I imagine that the policy is much the same in large parts of Europe. Maybe Lloyd Webber was reminiscing about Amsterdam:D
    I don't know what things were like in the UK during the time he was remembering, but some years later — 2001 — I was sure struck by the strong hash aroma in the thick haze in a Paris club on Rue Oberkampf. It wasn't legal, but that didn't seem to stop anyone.

owlman5

English-US
    I'm convinced, then. Lax policy-enforcement could certainly explain why that sweet smell is pretty common in bars over there.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The live rock circuit doesn't necessarily imply inside buildings either. (I didn't even think of that until you mentioned it.) There are/were plenty of open air concerts. There wasn't a building in sight at Woodstock.

Quartermass's one and only album came out in 1970. That's the era he's talking about - the height of the hippie era.

The haze was not just the smoke, probably.:rolleyes:

philchinamusical

Thank you all for the inputs. I will try to find proper Chinese expressions for this haze... which I can only imagine at this moment. Honestly, I never had such an experience myself, yet.

< Previous | Next >