swell head

solitude

french
Hello !

I have a question: How can i use the expression : swell head
She is swell-headed
She swellheaded ( I remind a song: "you swellheaded": Is it correct? )
She is swellhead

So i don't know....

Thank

• searyder

France; English language
    We'd need to know more about the song lyrics. I don't think this is a usual expression, it's poetic.
    I think 'swell' means two things: 1) big, over-sized, inflated 2) fine, nice, great, wonderful, awesome... (a slang word)

So swell-headed could mean having an over-sized head, meaning the person has an over-sized opinion of him/herself. But possibly the songwriter agrees with this, and thinks the person is great.:)

solitude

french
    We'd need to know more about the song lyrics. I don't think this is a usual expression, it's poetic.
    I think 'swell' means two things: 1) big, over-sized, inflated 2) fine, nice, great, wonderful, awesome... (a slang word)

So swell-headed could mean having an over-sized head, meaning the person has an over-sized opinion of him/herself. But possibly the songwriter agrees with this, and thinks the person is great.:)
    lol
    Ok,I give you the song lyrics :
    Development arresting, enveloped in the session,
    Keep it mellow no aggression, making it fresh like
    a tribe called quest
    Cause we dwelling on this section, and if you
    swellheaded
    and stressing

But i forget to specify something, i want to use this expression for a conceited person.

searyder

France; English language
    "swellheaded" could make me think of a conceited person. Are the lyrics from a rap song? It sounds to me like we're talking about conceitedness. ))

Alipeeps

UK
    UK - English
    If you want to use the expression for a conceited person then it would be more usual to use the phrase "big-headed". Swell-headed seems, from the context, to mean the same thing but it is not common usage whereas big-headed is.

< Previous | Next >