Swell of shirts


Senior Member
Indian English
Wind is blowing hard. And you are standing straight at the path of the wind. The wind is objected by you and tend to bend round, trying to pull your shirts back. And then your shirt make a flattering sound and swells at your back.

I hope you can visualise this situation. What word be used to describe "swell of shirt" here?
  • Copyright

    Senior Member
    American English
    Your shirt makes a furious flapping sound and balloons/billows at the back.

    But setting my alliterative cap aside, I think "swells" (or even "swells out") as a verb works quite nicely to replace "balloons/billows" above. It will remind people of boat sails swelling with the wind. it's a nice image.
    < Previous | Next >