swimmers often leave the pool famished

< Previous | Next >

Cholo234

American English
<<Unlike other cardio sports such as running, which can suppress appetite in the short term, swimmers often leave the pool famished. >>

Can someone say (1) what famished is called in English grammar and (2) whether it modifies both swimmers and leave? (I'm a perennial student of English grammar.) I've seen similar examples in textbooks.

(The subject sentence is from the website healthyeating.sfgate.com.)

• grassy

Polish
    "Famished" modifies "swimmers". But it's a badly constructed sentence as it suggests that swimmers are a cardio sport. :D
    Can someone say (1) what famished is called in English grammar
    It's the subject complement, I believe

Last edited:

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Swimming lengths is indeed an excellent cardio workout. If you spend 40 minutes in the water and do a kilometre st your maximum pace (ok I'm a slow swimmer) you absolutely do get a sustained cardio workout.

grassy

Polish
    Does the following edited sentence "pass muster"?

"Performing other cardio sports such as running, which can suppress appetite in the short term, swimmers often leave the pool famished."
    No! It's actually more confusing than the original one. Do the runners run in the swimming pool? How can they suppress appetite and be famished at the same time? It doesn't make any sense. ;)

Swimming lengths is indeed an excellent cardio workout. If you spend 40 minutes in the water and do a kilometre st your maximum pace (ok I'm a slow swimmer) you absolutely do get a sustained cardio workout.
    While swimmers get a cardio workout, the swimmers themselves are not cardio sports, and grassy is correct in saying that the sentence is badly constructed. The cardio sport is swimming, and not swimmers.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    While swimmers get a cardio workout, the swimmers themselves are not cardio sports, and grassy is correct in saying that the sentence is badly constructed. The cardio sport is swimming, and not swimmers.
    Yes. I totally missed this! You are right!

< Previous | Next >