Swimming with the fishes

< Previous | Next >

aldudturn

English - Queen's
I'm trying to translate the phrase, "If you don't pay me before the end of the week, you will be swimming with the fishes".

I'm writing a threatening letter for my French class tomorrow and would love help with this idiomatic phrase!

Thank you very much.

• doinel

France French
    Welcome to the forum aldudturn
    The reference to the Godfather or the Sopranos when they get rid of the snitch and dump the body in the sea does not make much sense in French.
    There are some expressions like 'tu iras fumer les pissenlits par la racine''.

tilt

French French
    Welcome to the forum aldudturn
    The reference to the Godfather or the Sopranos when they get rid of the snitch and dump the body in the sea does not make much sense in French.
    There are some expressions like 'tu iras fumer les pissenlits par la racine''.
    Manger les pissenlits par la racine is more common around me, but fumer is said too, yes.

aldudturn

English - Queen's
    Hi doinel, thank you for the quick reply. :)

It is a shame it cannot be directly translated because it's a very good phrase! Do you think that, "tu iras fumer les pissenlits par la racine'' would be most appropriate for my sentence or are there any alternatives? I want to be clear in my phrase that he will have a nasty end!

Many thanks.

Edit: Thank you tilt for the contribution too.

doinel

France French
    En effet tilt manger ou bouffer est plus fréquent. Même six pieds sous terre il ne faut pas fumer, na.
    En argot; perdre le goût du pain/ sentir le sapin/ sortir les pieds devant.
    J'aime bien: avaler son acte de naissance

Val74

Français, France
    Manger les pissenlits par la racine is more common around me, but fumer is said too, yes.
    I also heard "...manger les pissenlits par la racine"
    Another expression is the following "... tu partiras les pieds devant"

Val74

Français, France
    En effet tilt manger ou bouffer est plus fréquent. Même six pieds sous terre il ne faut pas fumer, na.
    En argot; perdre le goût du pain/ sentir le sapin/ sortir les pieds devant.
    J'aime bien: avaler son acte de naissance

"Avaler son acte de naissance" ...Je ne connaissais pas mais je trouve que c'est bien approprié!!

< Previous | Next >