swing much weight

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
What does bolded expression mean ?

'.... And why I’ve refused to make any of the usual appeals … although I couldn’t stop you from making them for me.’
‘Appeals made without the appellant’s participation don’t swing much weight in this state’s courts. Or the higher ones.’

Source: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King

This is a conversation between the offender who is sentenced to capital punishment and his court-appointed defending lawyer.

Is this expression the same as saying 'do not have much weight' ? What would be the difference ? When do you say: swing much weight and when you say : have much weight ?

Thank you

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    What does bolded expression mean ?

'.... And why I’ve refused to make any of the usual appeals … although I couldn’t stop you from making them for me.’
    ‘Appeals made without the appellant’s participation don’t swing much weight in this state’s courts. Or the higher ones.’

Source: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King

This is a conversation between the offender who is sentenced to capital punishment and his court-appointed defending lawyer.

Is this expression the same as saying 'do not have much weight' ? What would be the difference ? When do you say: swing much weight and when you say : have much weight ?

Thank you
    No significant difference; it's a matter of style.

< Previous | Next >