swirl whirl

< Previous | Next >

bodymindex

english
Hi,
Please advise which word is more suitable for describing circular movement of the arms.
Thanks in advance.
Joseph

• Copyright

American English
    Welcome to the forum. :) Could you please give us a sentence and describe the "circular movement" a little more?

bodymindex

english
    Hi,
    I'm translating some Tai Chi ex into English and her are some of the description which involve description of circular movement of the arms:

With your arms in front of your chest and slightly bend, swirl your left arm from below like drawing a circle.
    Your left hand should reach the level of your shoulder at the end of the first half of the circle and you should be able to see your left hand by turning your body slightly to the left.
    Then continue to swirl you left arm back to the front while turning your body to the front again.

Thanks.
    Joseph

Copyright

American English
    I would simply use "move" -- especially since you've described the circular motion: I don't think you don't need a verb that adds to the description you already have.

bodymindex

english
    Thanks for your advice.

How about the concise translation of such exercise? Should it be translated as:
    Swirl(or move) arm backward and then push forward.

Please advise.
    Joseph

Copyright

American English
    I'm still a fan of move. There may be a better word, but swirl isn't it, in my opinion. If I were writing it and wanted that circular description on the backward motion, I would say, Move your arm backward in an arc and then push forward.

bodymindex

english
    Thanks so much for your further suggestion.
    It really helps me to reconsider the naming of the 24 different names of TCC ex.
    Joseph

< Previous | Next >