sympathy with

camaysar

usa
usa, english
Hi everyone,

One may say "in sympathy with", but how about just "sympathy with", as expressing a spiritual connection:

His sympathy with the culture of rural Poland was mirrored in the novel "The Peasants".

Thanks!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    I've been mulling this post over for some time before deciding to comment. I can't help feeling that the use of "sympathy with" in this context is slightly strange. In Camaysar's original post, he refers to a "spiritual connection" to the culture of Poland... am I the only one who thinks that "sympathy with" isn't the appropriate phrase?

To me, "sympathy" is shared between people. You might feel "empathy" toward a specific culture, but I'm not sure that you have "sympathy with" a culture.

emma42

British English
    With respect, I don't agree, dear Dimcl. I think you can have sympathy and/or empathy with an individual or a culture, or even an opinion.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    ... am I the only one who thinks that "sympathy with" isn't the appropriate phrase?
    No Dimcl, you're not. I understand where you're coming from.

"Sympathy" means you understand a thing, a place, a person, etc.

"Empathy" goes deeper and is more soulful...signifying a more spiritual bond with a specific subject.

It's not that sympathy wouldn't work, but in my mind, it's not the perfect fit in tandem with "Spiritual."

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >