symposium (I attended) last weekend or symposium [on / from]

< Previous | Next >

fdk47

Tagalog
I want to create a sentence that has two meanings as below.

1." Last weekend, I was just being there at the symposium, listening to others talk and now I have to write a report on it."

2. "Last weekend, I talked or gave a presentation at the symposium and now I have to write a report on it."

So, I think I can do that with the sentences below, but I need your confirmation.

A. "I have to write a report on a symposium I attended last weekend." (I think this is a correct sentence.)

B. "I have to write a report on a symposium last weekend." (This is confusing to me because I think I can say "I need to prepare for an exam next week" to talk about an exam which will be held next week.)

C. "I have to write a report on a symposium [on / from] last weekend." ("from" sounds ok to me, but I can't be sure.)

I wrote these sentences myself, so if they sound unnatural, please let me know how a native speaker would say it.

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    "A" looks fine to me. It tells me that you attended the symposium last weekend. It does not tell me anything specific about what you did while you were there.

owlman5

English-US
    I don't like "last weekend" by itself as a modifier of "symposium" in "B".

"C" would be okay with "from last weekend", but it's not as good as "A" in my opinion.

Myridon

English - US
    I don't like "last weekend" by itself as a modifier of "symposium" in "B".
    In B, it seems like "last weekend" is modifying the entire sentence (telling us when you have to write the report) except the verb tense is incorrect.
    I have to write a report on a symposium tomorrow. I have to write the report tomorrow. The report is on the symposium.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    If you want to avoid any mention of having attended it, you could always say: "I have to write a report on last weekend's symposium." Dates and times are among the few non-human nouns that can take an apostrophe-s.

< Previous | Next >