synonym for "commitment" & "dedication"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by cph, May 29, 2007.

1. cph New Member

Madrid
    german / bavarian :D
    Hi there,

I'm looking for a synonym for "commitment" or "dedication" - only problem is, it has to have at least one "r" in it.. any suggestions ?¿?

Thanks in advance :)

2. tphuong122002 Senior Member

Vietnamese Vietnam
    How about promise and perseverance?

3. cph New Member

Madrid
    Thanks for the suggestions. "perseverance" doesn´t seem right, though. I need to use it in a context like "dedication or commitment to a task / work"

4. jonquiliser

jonquiliser Senior Member

Headquarters
    Svediż tal-Finlandja
    There are a few suggestions in the dictionary, perhaps that can help you a little?

Devoted participation seems strong enough, and has an r ;), but is in two words...
    Consecration (think that's used in religious context, but I don't really know)

Anyway, check the link for more..! :)

5. jonquiliser

Headquarters
    Svediż tal-Finlandja
    By the way, why on earth do you need a word with an r in it?!

6. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    adherence, self-sacrifice, whole-heartedness.
    A thesaurus is a wonderful tool.

7. jonquiliser

Headquarters
    Svediż tal-Finlandja
  8. cph New Member

Madrid
    Thanks a lot - I think I will either use "promise", "perseverance" or "adherence".
    And yes, I was using a thesaurus - and probably half a dozen sites for synonyms/antonyms/definitions and three dictionaries :D

I just felt they didn´t have the right connotation.

And the reason for the "r" is, that its part of another vertical word.
    eg:

water
    commitment
    adherence
    kilo
    = work

9. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hi cph

"Adherence" won't work here, because - as people have commented to you in a different thread - it doesn't have any particular positive connotations.

What about "reliability"?

Loob

10. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    It doesn't have any particular negative connotations either, but I agree it's probably not the best choice. Reliability would work in the context, although it's not really synonymous with commitment and dedication. I recommend either of my (well, Chambers thesaurus') recommendations - self-sacrifice or wholeheartedness.

11. cph New Member

Madrid
    Although "self-sacrifice" and "wholeheartedness" do sound good, they seem to be to long.

I'm just looking for a word to summarize the fact, that "fulfilling our clients’ needs is the most important". Best suited is "commitment" or "dedication", but as I already pointed out - the word needs to contain a "r".

So right now I'm circling around "adherence" or "verve" - any suggestions?

12. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    As you have already used commitment, I agree with loob that reliability is a good choice. Alternatively, responsibility or rigour.

13. cph New Member

Madrid
    Thanks again you two :)

14. rodoke Senior Member

Illinois, USA
    en-US; .us
    I wouldn't use it in a serious work and it doesn't have an r, but I've always liked stick-to-it-ive-ness.

15. cph New Member

Madrid
    Wondering how that might look in the about us & philosophy-section of a serious consultant company :D