Synonym for "mistakenly conflate"?

< Previous | Next >

jabberwockiness

English
I know there's a word for it...when you combine two ideas or things that really don't belong together? I think it might be a Logic term. Thanks!

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Welcome to the forums, jabberwockiness,

AngelEyes has given one possibility, though poets and other writers might argue that
    the elements of an oxymoron do belong together for dramatic effect. You could help us to help you by providing an example or two. Things that seems not to really belong together may be incongruous, dissonant, or oxymoronic, among other terms. They may clash visually, be in conflict logically, or otherwise not fit.

I look forward to more information to help use solve your dilemma.

jabberwockiness

English
    I mean more in a "verb" sense of the word. Say, if someone thought that apples and oranges were the same, then that person might propose an experiment that relied on the fact that a group of mixed apples/oranges had the same properties. The reality is that they do not - they've been "lumped" together incorrectly. To use Encarta: "I'm afraid you've mistakenly conflated two separate sets of facts." Isn't there a single word, a verb, that could replace "mistakenly conflate?"

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Maybe:

1. "I'm afraid you've mistakenly intermingled/commingled two separate sets of facts."
    2. "I'm afraid you've mistakenly meshed two unrelated __________."

AngelEyes

jabberwockiness

English
    Right, but both of those require the word "mistakenly." Isn't there some sort of word associated with deductive logic, perhaps? (Maybe it's in Latin or something)

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I wondered about that. But I think you could omit mistakenly and not lose any of the meaning you're looking for.

1. "I'm afraid you've intermingled/commingled two separate sets of facts."
    2. "I'm afraid you've meshed two unrelated __________."

Maybe not, but there seems to be a judgment here that implies you've made a mistake, by using separate or unrelated.

Maybe not.

I do understand your goal now. You don't want an adverb in there. You want the verb to do the work. I can't think of one that clearly means whatever is being combined/compared is unworkable.

Sorry I haven't been helpful.

AngelEyes

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    confuse
    To mix up in the mind, to fail to distinguish, erroneously regard as identical, mistake one for another;

confound
    To mix up in idea, erroneously regard or treat as identical, fail to distinguish;

OED

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Ratiocinative (adjective) is a fancy word for logical deduction, if you're looking for something that sounds highbrow. Can you change your sentence around and fit it in?

I still can't think of a verb that carries a real high level of negativity.

AngelEyes

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Why on earth would one take the trouble to "change your sentence around and fit it in" when it has nothing to do with confusing unlike things? Sounding highbrow while being dead wrong is an odd objective.

Panj's suggestion of confuse fills the bill well for the original request: when you combine two ideas or things that really don't belong together.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I only brought it in here because he mentioned his desire to somehow convey deductive logic in the mix. He also mentioned maybe a Latin word or such. I read that as maybe "sophisticated wording."

I wasn't trying to confuse. I was trying to help.

Speaking of confuse, I do like that word. Since we don't have the actual sentence we're supposed to be working, who knows?

"I'm afraid you've confused two unrelated __________."

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >