synonym for "pot belly"

< Previous | Next >

JohnDR

Mandarin
Is there any synonym for "pot belly"? Should I use "for" when I say a word is the synonym "for" pot belly?

• Copyright

American English
    Paunch, beerbelly, spare tire and bay window are all synonyms for potbelly, with beerbelly and spare tire being the two most common in that list.

timpeac

English (England)
    Rereading the first post, I'm actually wondering if JohnDR was asking about the use of the preposition "for" in that sentence.

If so, he was correct. If not - he's certainly got lots of synonyms now!:)

Last edited:

Cypherpunk

US, English
    My favorite is Dunlops. Dunlop is an American tire manufacturer, so you get the spare tire reference, but in the South, we say his fat's done lopped over his belt/pants. Needless to say, it's not the nicest comment.
    Another one that no one has mentioned is some variation on love handles: ample love handles, big love handles, etc. Though, technically, the love handles are on the sides of the body, not the front, like a pot belly.

Last edited:

genine

U.S. English & Mexican Spanish
    I agree with timpeac, but I think he's actually asking two questions, the use of the preposition of "for" and the synonym for "pot belly". Either way he/she got his/her answer!

< Previous | Next >