synonym for resilient

baclanova

British English
Hi!
Does anyone know a good synonym for the word resilient in the context of a "He had heard that teenage girls we're remarkably resilient" :)

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi!
    Does anyone know a good synonym for the word resilient in the context of a "He had heard that teenage girls we're remarkably resilient" :)
    You have to be pretty resilient to spend time in these forums, beating off the lack of context, suffering the merciless blows of absent background.

If you tell us where this snippet came from, and give us the sentences immediately before and after it, and provide some further background, we might just snap back into our normal shapes (mine is an electric percolator, just in case you were wondering), and maybe find some useful suggestions.

< READ this before you post: forum rules and some very useful links, too. >_________________
    'Ah, then it is context that has power,' said Vetinari, turning around with a look of unmasked delight. —T. Pratchett

ultravioleta

Castellano (español)
    Adaptable, may be an option. But I am not native, I just base this in one of the meanings in Spanish, and I think we could say adaptable for a teen in this case.

ultravioleta

Castellano (español)
    When I was studying biology in my master degree, I remember the first time I learned the meaning of this word, and it came with a whole new concept, including (as you say) the recovering from a difficult situation. Thus, I cannot think in a synonym that fits perfectly to replace it. May be recovering.
    Cheers,
    UV

Last edited:

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    A request has been made for context. Please stop guessing blindly.

When the thread opener comes back on line, they will provide the information we need to give a helpful answer. Until then, just wait patiently, please.

Thank you.

Nunty, moderator

baclanova

British English
    Well, it's basically just about teenage girls in general. :)
    Here's a bit more of the context: "Even after six months of living with one, he was no expert on the mysteries of teenage girls. He had heard that teenage girls we're remarkably resilient, yet his niece, bent over that puppy, did not seem resilient. In fact, he was not sure if he had ever seen a more fragile sight"

Loob

English UK
    It seems that the hero (and possibly his niece) thought the puppy had died: context.

The text is actually:
    Even after six months of sharing a house with one, Brian Kemp - a bachelor - was no expert on the mysteries of teenage girls. He had been told they were remarkably resilient, and yet his niece, bent over that puppy with her hands quiet and tense in the golden fur, did not seem resilient. In fact, he was not sure if he had ever seen a more fragile sight.
    As for synonyms, have you tried a thesaurus, baclanova? Here's one.

< Previous | Next >