Synonym of вакцина

< Previous | Next >

sotos

Greek
I heared in the news a Russian official talking about the CoVid19 vaccine, and I thought that I heared the greek word for vaccine "emvolio". Is it possible that this gr. word is used in Russian, or I was just mistaken?
Thanks for the answers.

• Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    You might have heard the word "эмболия". This word doesn't mean "a vaccine" in Russian, this is the name of the pathological process that may arise during the coronovirus and that could lead to the patient's death.

Embolism - Wikipedia

Awwal12

Russian
    No, never heard of anything like that. The closest word is эмболи́я "embolism" (from another Greek word), but in the end one can be guessing what you've actually heard for eternity, I am afraid.
    Most of the time the Russian medical terminology is pan-European (whatever the ultimate origin is), or German, or utilizes Church Slavonic; specific Greek terms are unlikely.

Last edited:

sotos

Greek
    Yes, they probably said "Эмболия", which has the same etymology with the greek "emvolio" (vaccine). Thanks for the answers guys.

Maroseika

Russian
    I always thought that прививка is an action and вакцина is what we прививаем. :)
    According to the dictionary, one of the meaning of прививка - препарат, вводимый в организм для предупреждения какой-либо заразной болезни; вакцина.
    However usuage of these words is a bit different. We can say создатель прививки/вакцины от полиомиелита, but only вколоть вакцину (not прививку).
    The seсond meaning of прививка really refers to the action (from прививать): прививка населения от туберкулеза.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >