Syntax

gil12345

chinese
Hi

Here is another question from SAT practice.

Uncertain how to proceed with the scene, the actors stopped, awaiting for further instructions from the director.

a. Uncertain how to proceed with the scene, the actors stopped, awaiting for
b. Because they were uncertain how to proceed with the scene, the actors stopped and awaited

I see the problem with A lies with misuse of "awaiting for". If "awaiting for " to be changed into "waiting for",which one would be better? A or B?

Gilbert

Last edited:
  • Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello Gilbert,

You are right: we say awaiting instructions or waiting for instructions.

The verb to await is mostly used for hostile forces lying in wait for someone - what awaited me as I entered the old barn? - it's not something one usually talks of people doing.

So, I'd say you have a choice between:

a. Uncertain how to proceed, the actors stopped, waiting for further instructions....
    b. Because they were uncertain how to proceed, the actors stopped and waited.

One can't say which is better, because so much depends on the tone one wishes to strike: the first sounds more stylish and less pedestrian perhaps.

gil12345

chinese
    Hello Gilbert,

You are right: we say awaiting instructions or waiting for instructions.

The verb to await is mostly used for hostile forces lying in wait for someone - what awaited me as I entered the old barn? - it's not something one usually talks of people doing.

So, I'd say you have a choice between:

a. Uncertain how to proceed, the actors stopped, waiting for further instructions....
    b. Because they were uncertain how to proceed, the actors stopped and waited.

One can't say which is better, because so much depends on the tone one wishes to strike: the first sounds more stylish and less pedestrian perhaps.

Thanks a lot. I learned a lot.

< Previous | Next >