Syriac / Aramaic: How endangered?

MarX

Banned
Indonesian, Indonesia
Hej!

After reading some threads in the Hebrew forum, I noticed that a couple of people are actually fluent in Syriac / Aramaic, which I thought was dying out. Is it actually not that endangered? Is it being passed on to younger generations?

Thank you!

MarX

• Shlama_98

Syriac Aramaic/Iraq
    Hej!

After reading some threads in the Hebrew forum, I noticed that a couple of people are actually fluent in Syriac / Aramaic, which I thought was dying out. Is it actually not that endangered? Is it being passed on to younger generations?

Thank you!

MarX
    Being a native speaker of the language and very familiar with the Assyrian community world wide, I would have to say that it's pretty endangered.

The thing is the language itself is more in danger in western countries rather than the native countries, for example when I look at Assyrians from the homeland (From Iraq, Syria, Iran, and Turkey), you notice that they don't have this problem with the language and the majority of them speak it at least fluently, now reading and writing is another story because only 10-15% of the population know how to do that, but the bottom line is the language back home is well and alive as a spoken language.

The population on the other hand is in more danger back home since they are a targeted minority, so many of them migrate to the west which makes the language in danger, and I say this because when we leave our homeland where we are targeted and we go to a land that accepts us and gives us the freedom, we tend to adopt more of the culture and forget some things of our own, sadly the language is among one of the primary things that we forget.

Usually among the 2nd generation Assyrians in the west the language is ok, but after the 3rd generation the language almost disappear and only 5-10% keep it, this is the case with the Assyrians that are living in Russia and Ukraine today, the majority of them are 3rd/4th generation and only 5-10% can speak it, the rest can either understand only or not know anything at all, and this will be the fate of the others in the rest of the western diaspora in a few decades I believe.

< Previous | Next >