Syrian Arabic: حلّه يترك

WannaBFluent

Français
I have a question about the expression حلّه يترك.

I think we can say it when, for example, you invited your boss to your house, but he stayed way too long. Finally, you manage to take him out of your house and you say to your wife حلّه يترك i.e., he left.

But imagine if someone is in your house, and you ask your wife to come in the kitchen, can you tell her quietly حلّه يترك ? i.e. it's time for him to leave, we must take him out as soon as possible.

Last edited:
  • elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Answering based on Palestinian:

You can use the expression in both contexts, but it's حللو, not حللك. Also, I would use يرُوح or يرَوِّح or ينقلع (which is much stronger, like "get the hell out of here") - not يترك.

In the first scenario, it means "It was about time he left" (not "he left").
    In the second scenario, it means "It's about time he left."

WannaBFluent

Français
    You can use the expression in both contexts, but it's حللو, not حللك.
    Yes, of course! :)
    In fact, I wrote حلك تترك first, then I changed my mind and I forgot to correct حلك... :oops:
    I edited my post.

In the first scenario, it means "It was about time he left" (not "he left").
    Yes I just wrote he left in the sense that he left, and I'm really happy he finally did :D

Also, I would use يرُوح or يرَوِّح or ينقلع (which is much stronger, like "get the hell out of here") - not يترك.
    Ok, thank you elroy :)

WannaBFluent

Français
    I discussed this expression with a Syrian friend, I asked her how she would say it was about time! I was so hungry, as for example, when you've been waiting for your food in a restaurant, and you finally see the waiter with the food you ordered coming.

She told me she would say:
    حلو يجهز الاكل ، انا ميتة من الجوع

But also told me that it doesn't make sense for her to say it if the food is ready. But to my logic, you can ONLY say it if the food is ready :D so I was pretty confused and I start doubting that I truly understand the expression...

Then, I thought the confusion was coming from the use of the verb جهز as in it was time they prepare the food, then yes, it makes no sense to say it if you see the waiter coming with the food.

So I told her what about حله يجيب الأكل، أنا ميت من الجوع but still, she told me that for her, it still means that the waiter did not come yet... So I don't get it :oops:

Can you help?

PS: She told me that she would maybe say:
    تأخرتو عليي ميت من جوعي

But حلو يجهز الاكل ، انا ميتة من الجوع doesn't make any sense for her in this context, nor حله يجيب الأكل، أنا ميت من الجوع

< Previous | Next >