Syrian Arabic : يسلملي يلي خلقك

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Golden-Rose, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Golden-Rose

Golden-Rose Member

English - UK
    What does this phrase mean?

I get that it's a compliment but I was kind of taken aback as it was used by someone who's quite religious, and يلي خلقك seems to be a reference to God.

2. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    It's a stronger version of تِسْلَم (literally, "may you stay well"). Yes, يلي خلقك ("the one who created you") is a reference to God, so the expression literally means "May the one who created you stay well"). It doesn't make literal sense, of course, but it's not meant to be understood literally.

3. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    I think this is a reference to God, as suggested.

It's something like 'bless the one who created you!' yislamli X is a pretty common formula which literally means something like 'may X remain safe' (يسلملي راسك) but which in pragmatic terms is really just a compliment. Saying 'may God be safe' obviously literally makes no sense, but this is not meant to be understood literally - it's simply a compliment like saying 'praise God for making you'.

4. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    I agree with the previous explanations. I'd just like to say that I've never really heard this particular expression before, and knowing myself, if I did I would have probably commented on the fact that it doesn't make sense. However, are you sure you heard it correctly? Maybe they said: يسلملي يللي خلفك, as in 'may that who has brought you to the world be well' - in a reference to your parents. It makes much more sense this way, and this one I have actually heard (or heard similar expressions such as: يسلمو اللي خلفوك in the plural).

5. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    Maha, are you familiar with the expression يِسعِدلي رَبَّك? I see يسلملي يلي خلقك as similar and wouldn't bat an eyelid if I heard it.

6. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    Yes, actually I am. I didn't draw parallels. It's not logical either but it is used quite commonly! :confused:

7. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    I'm pretty sure I've heard this exact expression many times in Syrian.

8. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    Maybe يسلملي يلي خلقك is just the Syrian equivalent of يِسعِدلي رَبَّك.

9. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    يسلم لي اللي خلقك is very common in Lebanon. I've never heard يسعد لي ربك but some people may say يقبرني ربّك (instead of تقبرني) to you when you say/do something clever that solves something.

Some expressions are intensified by adding terms related to God (becoming illogical sometimes). For example:
    عندي شغل كتير can become عندي شغل ألله
    يخللي ياك (which is short of الله يخللي لي ياك = may God keep you safe [for me]) can become يخللي لي الله اللي خلقك. ('May God keep God who created you safe [for me]'??!!!) :)