Syrian Arabic: I have not seen my friends for a long time

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by WannaBFluent, Feb 15, 2014.

1. WannaBFluent

WannaBFluent Senior Member

Français
    السلام عليكم

How Syrians say? : I have not seen my friends for a long time

صار لي زمان ما شفت صاحباتي
    6aar lii zamaan maa shufut 6aa7baati

Is this correct? please correct the transliteration (Syrian accent).
    How can I say it otherwise?

بارك الله فيك

2. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    I think you might be able to say it that way, although it's worth bearing in mind that the vowel in ṣār is often shortened and the r may be assimilated (so you can sometimes hear 6al-li). I think you can also say: min zamaan maa 3am (b)shuuf rfaa2aati (a more characteristically Syrian way of saying 'friends'). Note also that شفت generally sounds like 'shif(i)t in Syrian dialects (although this is inconsistent; even in the deepest Syrian dialect there are many words that do not have the stressed u/i > é shift, many speakers will sometimes produce e.g. kull and sometimes kill, and some Syrian accents - like a lot of Homsis, it seems - do not have the shift in most words in the first place). The bracketed (i) usually appears between two final consonants when there is a single consonant or a pause following, e.g.: akalét shi? - have you eaten?

ee akalét - yes, I've eaten

but: akalto - I ate it

akalt éj-jébne - I ate the cheese

shéfét shi? - did you see something?

shéft ékniise - I saw a church

But generally speaking, in common words, fuṣḥā u i will be é in stressed syllables (i.e. exactly what they sound like is determined by the surrounding context; sometimes it sounds a bit like the English ea in bread, sometimes it sounds more like normal fuṣḥā i).

3. WannaBFluent

WannaBFluent Senior Member

Français
    shukran ktiir for all those precisions about pronunciation, it is much appreciated! :)