Syrian Arabic: I have not seen my friends for a long time

WannaBFluent

Français
السلام عليكم

How Syrians say? : I have not seen my friends for a long time

صار لي زمان ما شفت صاحباتي
6aar lii zamaan maa shufut 6aa7baati

Is this correct? please correct the transliteration (Syrian accent).
How can I say it otherwise?

بارك الله فيك

• analeeh

English - UK
    I think you might be able to say it that way, although it's worth bearing in mind that the vowel in ṣār is often shortened and the r may be assimilated (so you can sometimes hear 6al-li). I think you can also say: min zamaan maa 3am (b)shuuf rfaa2aati (a more characteristically Syrian way of saying 'friends'). Note also that شفت generally sounds like 'shif(i)t in Syrian dialects (although this is inconsistent; even in the deepest Syrian dialect there are many words that do not have the stressed u/i > é shift, many speakers will sometimes produce e.g. kull and sometimes kill, and some Syrian accents - like a lot of Homsis, it seems - do not have the shift in most words in the first place). The bracketed (i) usually appears between two final consonants when there is a single consonant or a pause following, e.g.: akalét shi? - have you eaten?

ee akalét - yes, I've eaten

but: akalto - I ate it

akalt éj-jébne - I ate the cheese

shéfét shi? - did you see something?

shéft ékniise - I saw a church

But generally speaking, in common words, fuṣḥā u i will be é in stressed syllables (i.e. exactly what they sound like is determined by the surrounding context; sometimes it sounds a bit like the English ea in bread, sometimes it sounds more like normal fuṣḥā i).

< Previous | Next >