Syrian Arabic: TV Syrian

elroy

Imperfect Mod
US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
Hello! I've often heard that "TV Syrian" (i.e. the variety of Syrian that tends to be used in most Syrian مسلسلات) is not really spoken by very many people and/or is kind of an antiquated way of speaking. I'm curious to know more about this.

Is TV Syrian an actual, legitimate variety of Syrian - i.e. are there people that speak this way - or is it an artificially constructed patchwork with bits and pieces of various existing varieties, that doesn't actually exist as such in real life?

If it's the former, what percentage of Syrians speak this way, and with what regions/generations/socioeconomic groups (or any other relevant demographic characteristics) is it associated?

If it's the latter, why is it used, how was it created, and do Syrian actors have to get trained to speak this way?

In either case, how is this variety of Syrian perceived by Syrians? Is it considered prestigious and desirable?

Any other information about "TV Syrian" would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

• ihsaan

Norwegian
    Well, I wondered about the same, and was told that it very much depends on the type of TV serial. According to the person I spoke to, the way they speak in the new TV serial شوق is quite natural, whereas the same is not the case when it comes to historical dramas and the like.

momai

Arabic - Syria
    I'd say, it is the dialect of the people who left their cities/areas to move to Damascus. Therefore, you will find it spoken only by the residents of Damascus city. Outside of the capital, locals speak their own dialects.
    Here is a sample of my dialect: /watch?v=T9Mr4ZZC-gY
    But then listen to the accent of عاصم حواط who is from my city. For example: /watch?v=AsmN2MKy7LM
    Probably in 25-50 years from now all dialects will disappear and melt together producing what most of Syrians will be speaking in the future.

analeeh

English - UK
    Hello! I've often heard that "TV Syrian" (i.e. the variety of Syrian that tends to be used in most Syrian مسلسلات) is not really spoken by very many people and/or is kind of an antiquated way of speaking. I'm curious to know more about this.
    I think when people say this they're talking about the way people speak in so-called بيئة شامية musalsals, most famously Bab il 7ara. There are still Damascenes with the heavy Damascene drawl, but few if any of the actors in Bab il 7ara speak that way naturally and all of them exaggerate it for dramatic effect. Historical/Damascus 7aara series also tend to make use of a lot of markedly archaic vocabulary or traditional ways of speaking (like obsessive deployment of proverbs) to emphasise the period and the traditional character of the life they're depicting.

The other kind of 'TV Syrian', the kind Momai is talking about, is اللهجة البيضا. It's characteristic as he says of people who are from Damascus but whose families aren't - it's a sort of watered-down version of the Damascus accent. But I would add that this is also increasingly the dialect that educated speakers from all over Syria lean towards.

< Previous | Next >