Syrian Arabic: You can give your child a time out

scetis

English- Canadian
Is there a word in Syrian Arabic/Levantine for a 'time out'. For example, "You can give your child a time out instead of spanking them."

I know there is the word الخصام but I think a time out is a bit different?

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In Palestinian I think I would say "make them sit in the corner."

بتقدر تقعّد ابنك بالقرنة بدال ما تضربو
    bti2dar-i-t2a33ed 2ibnak bil-2urne badaal ma-tuDrubo

خصام means "conflict" and has nothing to do with this. :confused:

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    خصام means "conflict" and has nothing to do with this.
    Really? In Egypt, خصام refers to not talking with someone because you're upset with them.
    For example:
    أنا مخاصماك = I'm not talking to you (or it "with you"? :confused:)
    الولاد اتخانقوا على الكورة وخاصموا بعض they fought over the ball and stopped talking/are not talking with each other.

The term is mostly used with children, friends, couples and lovers. But it would sound childish in some context, like two countries cutting ties :)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes, that's what I meant by "conflict" - interpersonal conflict. In English, conflict isn't just political, and it can be between just two people or it can occur on a broader scale.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    What I meant is that الخصام itself is not the conflict, but the result of it, i.e. they stopped talking with each other due to/after a conflict.

So we can use it in this context. A mother can tell her son: لو ما سمعتش الكلام حخاصمك = I won't talk with you. Not that this is the best translation for "give a time out", but I wanted to say that the word can work in this context, at least in Egyptian Arabic. I don't know about Syrian.

Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
    Cantonese
    Perhaps the point is that time-out is more about a child being secluded at a certain place, than about his not being talked to, so khaaSem might not fit here?

scetis

English- Canadian
    What I meant is that الخصام itself is not the conflict, but the result of it, i.e. they stopped talking with each other due to/after a conflict.

So we can use it in this context. A mother can tell her son: لو ما سمعتش الكلام حخاصمك = I won't talk with you. Not that this is the best translation for "give a time out", but I wanted to say that the word can work in this context, at least in Egyptian Arabic. I don't know about Syrian.
    That's how I heard it when I was in Egypt to... there was definitely that element of conflict.

< Previous | Next >