técnico superior universitario

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by patricia2911, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. patricia2911 New Member

    venezuela - español
    Hola Soy De Venezuela Y Quisiera Que Si Alguno De Uds. Sabe Como Se Dice Correctamente "tecnico Superior Universitario" En Ingles. No La TraducciÓn Si No La Manera Correcta De Expresar Esa Frase En Ingles....

    Muchas Gracias...
  2. panatica Senior Member

    Costa Rica
    English/fluent Spanish, born in Panama Canal Zone
    Creo que la forma correcta de decir esto es: Senior Technician, University level
  3. amigodeana Member

    Hello, i would also like to know the answer to this,
  4. Lita24 New Member

    Venezuela, español
    Hola, soy de Venezuela y me gustaria que me ayudaran a traducir o hallar el equivalente en ingles al titulo "Tecnico Superior Universitario en Publicidad"

  5. frida-nc

    frida-nc Moduladora

    North Carolina
    English USA
    Hola, bienvenida, Lita, a los foros.
    Por favor, echa un vistazo primero a los hilos anteriores aquí y aquí sobre este termino.
    "Publicidad" es "Advertising."
  6. Eugin

    Eugin Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    ¡Hola Frida, amigota!!

    Ahora soy yo la que está traduciendo un "academic transcript" de la carrera de Publicidad cursada en Venezuela y también necesito saber cómo se traduciría "Técnico Superior Universitario en Publicidad"... (¡qué casualidad!!!)

    En otro hilo aparece esta posibilidad: "Senior Technician, University level"... ¿qué te parece? ¿te convence esa opción? :confused:

    ¡Muchas gracias, querida amiga!!!:)
  7. Barbara S. Senior Member

    A technician is usually not a professional title in English. Technicians usually have two years of community college or less. I'd say something like, BA degree in Advertising or Communications or Business Communications.
  8. frida-nc

    frida-nc Moduladora

    North Carolina
    English USA
    Hola, y feliz día Eugencita:

    En vez de Senior, mi preferencia es el término, "Advanced." (Para mi los Senior Technicians tienen muchos años en sus carreras, no es un término educativo.) Y en un hilo han dicho que en el Reino Unido prefieren designar estos niveles "Higher" en vez de "Advanced," así que les dejo a ellos comentar si quieren. Para mi país, incluiría el título en el original:
    Diría: "Advanced Technician, University Level in Marketing/Advertising (Técnico Superior Universitario en Publicidad)"

    Definitivamente no es un B.A. degree (licenciatura) como sugiere Barbara (acabo de ver su post), pero parece ser más de un Associate degree, pues es de al menos tres años mientras un Associate es de dos años.

    Pero qué extraño que los títulos universitarios del mundo tengan que ser analizados y explicados improvisadamente y de nuevo por cada graduado...:confused: En realidad,mi opinión solamente.

    ¡Un abrazo, Super-Traductora!
  9. Barbara S. Senior Member

    Re Frida NC's comments, I don't think university level in English can be less than a BA. Universities do not give associate degrees (AA). To be a "universitario" is the equivalent of having a BA or more. It is not the same as the licenciatura which seems to vary from country to country. In Mexico, lawyers and engineers are called "licenciados" but accountants are not. BA in Marketing sounds good too.
  10. frida-nc

    frida-nc Moduladora

    North Carolina
    English USA
    I am going by this post from Venezuela, among other discussions on the title of Técnico Superior Universitario in previous threads:
    It seems to me that we should value other countries' terminology by not finding "degree equivalence" but by retaining their terms and even giving the original as I suggested. A B.A. degree (almost always 4 years) has many general education requirements that may not be present in a specialized institute focused on a particular career, though I do not know whether such requirements are implied by the "rango universitario" in the cited post.

    I do know that if we are not careful as translators of CVs, we will get people in trouble down the road, and we do not want that.

  11. Eugin

    Eugin Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    Muchas gracias Frid y Barbara por sus opiniones.
    I agree with Frida in that it cannot be translated as a Bachelor of Arts, though this "study" was done over 7 semesters (3 1/2 years), so probably, the best solution would be "Associate Degree"... and then how should I continue? "Associate Degree in Advertisement"?

    Muchas gracias, once again!! You are helping me a lot to figure this one out!!
  12. frida-nc

    frida-nc Moduladora

    North Carolina
    English USA
    Hi Eugin,
    I haven't changed my opinion; it is quite a lot more than an Associate degree (from a "community college") in U.S., and in England these terms would at least have a different meaning (or need translation from English to English).
    I still advise using the terminology of the degree itself.
    Oh--and I still like "Marketing/Advertising." But Advertising--not Advertisement--by itself is OK.
    Cariños, amiga.
  13. Eugin

    Eugin Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    Well, thanks for your input, Frid!!! The thing is that this academic transcript is for a university in Australia... to recognize the credits the student accumulated in that course...
    I`ll have to have a look at some Australian universities, right?

    Thanks on the part of "Advertising" as well... Why do you add "Marketing", when in Spanish it does not say so??? Is is how you refer to someone who only studies "Advertising"??
  14. Barbara S. Senior Member

    I may be mistaken, but I don't believe U.S. universities offer degrees in advertising. The closest we get, I think, is a business degree in marketing. I agree, you should look up the course offering of Australian universities.

    An AA or BA is a specific degree. It sounds like your client completed a program in advertising but was not granted a degree. In AE we would say "So and so completed a X number of semester hour program in marketing or advertising. If he received a certificate of completion, we say he received a certificate in advertising after completing x semester hours.

    American universities have many certificate programs, especially at the graduate level. One of the most popular is the certificate for teaching English as a Second Language. It's not the same as an MA in the same field as the courses and credits do not always apply towards receiving a doctorate.
  15. frida-nc

    frida-nc Moduladora

    North Carolina
    English USA
    Eugin--In the U.S., the study of Advertising is heavily inclined toward art and design and is found in art schools. I don't know how it is in Australia, though. I thought that a one-for-one translation might be unfair to "Publicidad," which seems to be taught in a business context.
    I have been trying to argue against this. We're translators, not degree equivalence analysts (they make a lot more money). Barbara's suggestion of adding the term in years, semesters, months...if you know them, is probably a good one.

    Barbara--Again, I believe that we should take a degree on its own terms, not on U.S. or Australian terms. The person fulfilled the requirements for the degree sought. If someone wants to argue why it should not be a degree, when an Associate's degree, with fewer requirements, is one, I'll listen. (But my translation did not include the word degree).
  16. Barbara S. Senior Member

    I'm working from the point of view of the English speaker who will be reading this CV, if that's what it is, and deciding what the person's background actually is. Is he an artist or is his education in business? Should he receive the starting salary of a university graduate or of someone without a university degree? Will the reader throw up his hands and give the job to someone else? I worked in public high schools in California for 20 years and often had to translate transcripts. I know how easy it is for someone to just give up and not give a student the credits he's earned. (Not me, the counselors.) Again, as regards to the word "degree", it appears the person did not receive a University "degree" but rather completed a program. Of course people do receive "degrees" from barber colleges, but in that case there is no possible confusion.

    Peace. We may not agree, but it's good to present different points of view.
  17. Jim986

    Jim986 Senior Member

    New Zealand English
    A late note: In Australia and other countries in the British educational tradition, technical colleges are terciary institutions not accredited to grant degrees. Their qualifications are usually called diplomas, and this is true of some post-graduate university qualifications (such as my post-graduate Diploma in Translation Studies - 1 year full-time). However, the holders of such qualifications do not have a "title" in the sense of the Spanish tradition such as "Técnico Superior en Traducción". I am not a "higher technician" or any other kind of technician, and such a title would not be understood in an Australian HR department. I am a "qualified translator and interpreter", and the qualifications I have would come under "Education" in my CV, not under a heading called "titles". In the case of professions where such qualifications are legally required, such as nursing, the term is "registered (nurse)". To be registered, one must hold the appropriate diploma, degree or doctorate, depending on the profession. It's a thorny subject for the translator. The best way I have found is to put "Qualified xxx" (Higher Educational Diploma in yyy from zzz [the institution])". This, at least, will be understood.
  18. rocio perez New Member

    Hola. Que pasa? este programa es viejo? las respuestas son de 2005! pero me quedo la duda como decir Tecnico superior universitario en .....
  19. Chaly Member

    Pretoria, Southafrica
    Venezuela Español
    Hola Rocio

    En mi curriculum lo tengo de esta manera: Diploma - Publicity and marketing degree
  20. Jim986

    Jim986 Senior Member

    New Zealand English
    Hi Chaly. Your qualification cannot be a diploma and a degree at the same time. Better put "Diploma in publicity and marketing".
  21. Chaly Member

    Pretoria, Southafrica
    Venezuela Español

    Well, actually it was asked that way by the SAQA South African qualification Department. You can modify it according to the country.

    Thank you
  22. Dardisa New Member

    Spanish-Mexico, English USA
    The document is a birth certificate from Venezuela, the profession listed for the mother is:
    Técnico Superior Universitario en Administración

    Given that the ACTUAL number of years of study and the FOCUS of study are unknown, would this pass as an appropriate translation?:

    credentialed with an earned degree in advanced technical administration.

Share This Page