ilikescotch

spanish, mexico
i heard this word that i think its a dialect but i dun know what this means...i've asked my teachers but they dun want to tell me i guess its kind of bad...what does "tö" mean? is that a bad word?

• jester.

Germany -> German
    I have never ever heard that word before.
    I t sounds very strange to me.
    I would even say it is no German word. If it is really German, I'd very much like to know what it means.

It might possibly come from an Austrian or Swiss dialect.

MrMagoo

Westphalia, Germany; German
    I have heard "tö" as a very colloquial form for "tschüß", such as tschau, tschö, ta, etc..

In this case of course, it's not a bad word. ;)
    Maybe your teachers just don't know this word, so they couldn't answer?!

ilikescotch

spanish, mexico
    thanks everyone...but i don't have a context either...maybe it is not a bad word, but the teacher blushes all when we ask her what does it mean...but ne way thanks

DerKleineFreak

German
    Maybe it's an other word for "pöh". "Tö, dass ist mir doch egal!" Ok anyway it sounds strange. Never heard about that word.

MrMagoo

ilikescotch said:
    thanks everyone...but i don't have a context either...maybe it is not a bad word, but the teacher blushes all when we ask her what does it mean...but ne way thanks

*lol* This word might have a meaning, either similar to "tschau" or to "is mir egal" or to something else, but one is for sure: It's not a bad word and nothing to blush about ;)

All the best
    -MrMagoo

ilikescotch

spanish, mexico
    thank you all for your replies..maybe it doesn't mean anything...anyways its cool when we ask the theacher "was heißt tö?" and she blushes and answers "Tür? Tür ist das". She is from Köblenz, Rheinland-Pfalz. Maybe it means sumthing over there

MrMagoo

ilikescotch said:
    thank you all for your replies..maybe it doesn't mean anything...anyways its cool when we ask the theacher "was heißt tö?" and she blushes and answers "Tür? Tür ist das". She is from Köblenz, Rheinland-Pfalz. Maybe it means sumthing over there
    I'm not "that" familiar with the Koblenz dialect, but a friend of mine is from Koblenz, and now that you mention it, "Tö" could be a dialect-pronunciation of "Tür" in Koblenz region; so maybe thats "just" her way of saying "Tür".

Now though, I'm wondering even more, why she thinks that it is a bad word?! *lol*

Phlegethon

Germany / German
    Well, I am no expert for dialects of Rhineland-Palatinate (living right on the cultural border between Rhineland and Westphalia) but I am quite sure that "Tö" means toilet. Don't ask me why, but I have heard it being used in that context. It could have to do with the French occupation of the Rhineland in the 1920s and the subsequent Pidgin French expressions used in colloquial German in the Rhineland.

Just checked my theory with Google and of course I was right: Look at this article:

http://www.senioras-online.net/article.php?op=Print&sid=275

< Previous | Next >