tú, vosotros (second-person pronouns in Spain)

Rashit

Banned
Russian
Hi again! If I have understood Spanish grammar correctly, then the informal second person pronouns are tú (singular) and vosotros (plural). The formal second person pronouns are usted (singular) and ustedes (plural). Am I correct? Also, if you are addressing a group consisting only of females and wish to be informal with them, you use vosotras rather than vosotros.

P.S. I am talking about Spanish as spoken in Spain.

• elprofe

Spanish (Spain)
    You're right! But I would always use "vosotras" when addressing a group of people consisting of women only. It's not about how formal you want to sound, but how considerate you want to be.

Aviador

Castellano de Chile
    Hi again! If I have understood Spanish grammar correctly, then the informal second person pronouns are tú (singular) and vosotros (plural). The formal second person pronouns are usted (singular) and ustedes (plural). Am I correct?...
    Yes, absolutely.

... Also, if you are addressing a group consisting only of females and wish to be informal with them, you use vosotras rather than vosotros...
    Yes.

... P.S. I am talking about Spanish as spoken in Spain.
    Correct. In the Spanish Americas and in parts of Spain like the Canary islands, we use usted and its plural ustedes in both the formal and informal registers, and never use vosotros/tras.

Doraemon-

"Spanish - Spain" "Catalan - Valencia"
    Yes; feminine is to be used in plural when all the members in a group have feminine gender (of course with people, but also if you say "una furgoneta y una moto muy bonitas"; the masculine takes precedence when they're gender mixed: "un coche y una moto muy bonitos". The same happens with pronouns (ellos/ellas, vosotros/vosotras, nosotros/nosotras, estos/estas...)
    This is probably the most discussed issue in gender-neutral language in Spanish.

< Previous | Next >