Tabaco negro, tabaco rubio

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
According to my Gran Diccionario Oxford "Tabaco rubio" is Virginia tobacco; and "Tabaco negro" is Dark tobacco.
Spanish people use these expressions a lot. What about English people?
Or do you use mild tobacco and strong tobacco?
Please, help a non-smoker!

• whatonearth

UK, English
    You'd usually ask for 'light' tobacco (for mild) or 'normal'/'regular' tobacco or just 'tobacco' to mean the less-mild stuff. For example, there is a make of tobacco in the UK called Drum - normal tobacco in a dark packet, and light tobacco in a lighter packet, this is common - and people would either ask for a "packet of Drum" (meaning the stuff in the dark packet) or "a pack of Drum Light"...hope that helps!

badgrammar

American English
    I wonder... Here in France most smokers under 50-60 or so smoke "tabac blond", meaning tobacco like you find in a common cigarette (Virginia). But there are still those who smoke such brands as "Gauloise", which are (I believe) "tabac brun". It is much stronger, headier. You can smell it a mile away.

I suspect the difference is not between regular and light (reduced tar) tobacco, it is probably a difference in the type of tobacco, and the way it is cured and cut.

I know I didn't give you the word you're looking for, but I'm sure help is on the way!!!

kuleshov said:
    According to my Gran Diccionario Oxford "Tabaco rubio" is Virginia tobacco; and "Tabaco negro" is Dark tobacco.
    Spanish people use these expressions a lot. What about English people?
    Or do you use mild tobacco and strong tobacco?
    Please, help a non-smoker!

nikvin

UK/France English/French/Spanish
    In England, very little tabacco negro is smoked, and hard to obtain. ;ostly gauloises or gitanes, though a few places have stocked Diucados ) ah.........bliss) Most people , if they dont know what it is tend to refer to it as "that horible smelly foreign stuff".
    If referring to cigarettes, one just says cigarettes and then the brand name. when using the word tobacco, one is refering to rolling tobacco. and Drum and others , however strong is not tabaco negro.

So really tabaco and tobacco, are false friends, as in the UK tabacco means rolling tobacco, whereas in Spain it can be any sort, whtherb`para liar or ready made cigarettes.

) i really must give it up.....one of these days!)