Tackle a problem only when it comes

kachibi

Chinese
We all know we have right of silence in criminal law (common law countries) and we don't need to say anything to the police. Suppose I committed a crime few days ago. And the police suspect and arrest me today for interrogation. I can keep my mouth shut.

But after the police gather enough information to charge me, I will be brought to court and now I will be in a situation that I may need to say something to defend myself. Cause the situation--the prosecution seems to have a strong case now--puts me at a disadvantage now.

I wonder if we have any phrase/idiom to express the situation where: I only do something i.e. in the above case, open my mouth, when the situation requires me to do so i.e. I start to feel the danger. If I am still in a safe situation, I can still do nothing and wait and see.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    You can say that you will do something only when necessary, or only when you have to. A more general idiom meaning to tackle a problem when it arrives is "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it".

suzi br

English / England
    These suggestions do mean something along the lines of what you are asking, but I cannot quite imagine what sort of sentence you could use them in to fit the OP context.
    Do you have such a word/ phrase in your native language? It seems you are trying to cover two quite distinct concepts to me. Which one is your focus?

< Previous | Next >