tackle/confront Josh about his bad behavior

Solitario

Perú Spanish
Are they synonyms in this question?

Did the coach tackle / confront Josh about his bad behavior?

I found this definition of tackle:
to ask someone questions in a very direct way, because you disagree with them and you want them to explain their opinions or bahavior.

And this other definition of confront:
Confront means either to face a situation that makes you uncomfortable, or to say something to someone about something they've done that bothers you. Rather than letting things go, when people are rude to you you should confront them.

• Chris K

English / US
    Thanks for your answer. Could someone tell me the difference in meaning?
    "Tackle" means to grab someone and knock him to the ground. It is used figuratively sometimes, but more often for a problem than for a person. To say that a coach "tackles" a person might be confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Here's the source of the definition (#4): www.macmillandictionary.com/thesaurus/american/tackle

Solitario, please provide each time the source you're quoting.

I think if X is tackling Y, Y can confront X (and start taclking X too, for instance). I'm wondering if there are any particular contexts in which 'tackle' in the meaning discussed can be used.

loudspeaker

British English
    In BrE, 'to tackle sb about/on/over sth' means speak to somebody frankly (about a matter), speak to someone firmly concerning a subject.

Are you going to tackle the boy about his school report?

The committee determined to tackle the director on the matter which he had refused to talk about at the last meeting.

BrooklynBoy

English - Nueva York
    I guess this is British English. On this side of the pond, you don't tackle a person unless you mean to physically knock them to the ground. You tackle a problem, a challenge, etc.

< Previous | Next >