Tackle

atchan

Arabic
What is the meaning of the highlighted word.

"Mauritania now is saying: 'We are following stronger tactics, which [are] breaking al-Qaeda, weakening al-Qaeda, tackling al-Qaeda even on its bases'."

• atchan

Arabic
    But when I checked my dictionary it appeared to me that when we are talking about political affairs it means "deal with" not the sport meaning.

Oeco

English - US
    Yes, tackle can mean that ("to 'take on'"). But that doesn't seem to be the meaning in your suggested sentence. It seems to be to "seize and throw down" Al Qaeda at its bases. But I might be reading something into that sentence that's not there.

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    The meaning is given in B3 in the forum dictionary. It has nothing to do with sport, although it may come from a sporting metaphor (e.g. rugby in the UK).

We tackle/take on/try to solve problems or difficult tasks. Sometimes "deal with" fits.
    If you have an enemy and engage with them, you take them on. This means more ore less to fight them or struggle against them.

Loob

English UK
    Hi atchan

Like e2efour, I would understand it as meaning "take on", with no sporting connotations.

< Previous | Next >