tacos de botas de fútbol

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Cecilio, Mar 22, 2010.

  1. Cecilio

    Cecilio Senior Member

    Valencia, Spain
    Spanish, Valencian/Catalan
    What is the word in English for "tacos"? In this case, "taco" is one of the little sharp things, made of metal or plastic, that are put on a football shoe's sole.
  2. Agró

    Agró Senior Member

    Alta Navarra
    Del diccionario de WR:
    (de botas de deporte) cleat (AmE), stud (BrE)
  3. Masood

    Masood Senior Member

    Leicester, England
    British English
    Yes, studs over here (UK)
    Either moulded or screw-in. I much prefer moulded.
  4. gengo

    gengo Senior Member

    And just for the record, cleat puede referirse tanto a los tacos como al zapato entero.

    He just bought a new pair of cleats. (the shoes)

    Colloquially, in AmEn we also call these tacos "spikes," especially in a baseball context.
  5. Masood

    Masood Senior Member

    Leicester, England
    British English
    Interesting. Over here, cleats has a different meaning.
    For example, I wear cleats every day - they're special clips on the soles of my cycling shoes and their function is to attach the shoes (and, by extension, my feet) to the bike pedals.
    Do you call these cleats also?
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  6. gengo

    gengo Senior Member

    I'm familiar with those, but I don't know what they're called. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cleats here, too.

Share This Page