Taipei 101 is taller than X in Taiwan

Chinese Su

Chinese
I am studying the comparative/superlative. For example,

"Taipei 101 is the tallest building in Taiwan. Taipei 101 is taller than ________ in Taiwan."

Question: Is it correct and idiomatic to fill the gap using ...

A: all of the other buildings OR all of the others

B: all the other buildings OR all the others

C: all other buildings OR all others

I am sure that all the other buildings is fine, but not certain about the others.

Also, I am wondering if it is fine to omit "other" in the first parts of all three options.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
  • Chinese Su

Chinese
    The first part of A, B and C is correct; the second part is wrong.

You mustn't omit "other", or else it will mean "Taipei 101 is taller than Taipei 101" :confused:.
    Thank you for your reply, Keith Bradford! I agree with you that omitting "other" won't work in this sentence :D

But why is the second part of A, B and C wrong? Will it be otherwise correct if I edit the sentence as the following? Thank you :)

"Taipei 101 is the tallest building in Taiwan. The building Taipei 101 is taller than ________ in Taiwan."
    Our product is better than all other products:tick:
    Our product is better than all others:tick:.
    any other vs any others

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    That's right. If you don't have the word building (or construction, block, tower, skyscraper etc.) in the second part, then there's nothing for other to refer to. And if there's nothing there, we'd assume that it refers to person!

He is taller than any other in his class. :tick: (We understand other person.)
    My house is taller than any other in the street. :tick: (It's explicit: other house.)
    No.7 is taller than any other in the street. :cross: (Any other what? Person, house, number 7 ????)

Chinese Su

Chinese
    That's right. If you don't have the word building (or construction, block, tower, skyscraper etc.) in the second part, then there's nothing for other to refer to. And if there's nothing there, we'd assume that it refers to person!

He is taller than any other in his class. :tick: (We understand other person.)
    My house is taller than any other in the street. :tick: (It's explicit: other house.)
    No.7 is taller than any other in the street. :cross: (Any other what? Person, house, number 7 ????)
    I see! Thanks so much for your detailed explanation, Keith Bradford! :D

After having read everything carefully, I have come up with the following:

(The building)
    Taipei 101 is taller than any of the other buildings in Taiwan. :tick:
    (The building) Taipei 101 is taller than any other building in Taiwan. :tick:
    The building Taipei 101 is taller than any other in Taiwan.:tick:

However, I am not sure if these two sentences will also work. Thank you :)

1. The building Taipei 101 is taller than any of the others in Taiwan.
    2. The building Taipei 101 is taller than any others in Taiwan.

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    In general, it seems to me more natural to place the word building later in the sentence. So:
    • Taipei 101 is taller than any of the other buildings/any other building in Taiwan :tick: is better than
    • The Taipei 101 building is taller than any other in Taiwan ?.

Chinese Su

Chinese
    It would be more natural to say "The Taipei 101 building" rather than "The building Taipei 101."
    In general, it seems to me more natural to place the word building later in the sentence. So:
    • Taipei 101 is taller than any of the other buildings/any other building in Taiwan :tick: is better than
    • The Taipei 101 building is taller than any other in Taiwan ?.
    Thank you both for your replies, GreenWhiteBlue and Keith Bradford :D

Taipei 101 is taller than all of the other buildings / all the other buildings / all other buildings in Taiwan. :tick:
    Taipei 101 is taller than any of the other buildings / any other building in Taiwan. :tick:

Last edited:

Chinese Su

Chinese
    Do you agree with me on the following now? Thank you :)

Taipei 101 is the tallest building in Taiwan.

1. This building is taller than any other in Taiwan. :tick:
    2. This building is taller than any of the others in Taiwan. :tick: (= any one of the others/the other buildings, which is singular, so this works.)
    3. This building is taller than any others in Taiwan. :cross: (It seems to be comparing the height of the Taipei 101 building to the heights of an arbitrary group of the other buildings in Taiwan. So this does not work.)

< Previous | Next >