take a bow

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

The candidate took a bow to the audience immediately after her election was announced.

I made up the sentence. Does 'take a bow' always need to happen after 'applause' by someone? I understand 'bow' means just inclining one's head and doesn't need to follow people's reactions like clapping or applause.
And also I would appreciate if someone would explain the usage of 'of' in 'as of an artist...' in the definition below.
(http://www.thefreedictionary.com/take+a+bow)
Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Verb1.take a bow - acknowledge praise or accept credit; "They finally took a bow for what they did" accept - consider or hold as true; "I cannot accept the dogma of this church"; "accept an argument"
2.take a bow - acknowledge applause by inclining the head, as of an artist after a performance

• Linkway

British English
    'Taking a bow' does not usually mean 'just inclining the head'. As a physical action it usually involves bending at the waist and lowering the upper half of the body, not just the head.

Hower, the expression 'take a bow' is also used figuratively so other forms of actual or inferred acknowledgement could be involved.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    There may be a cultural element involved.

You could: acknowledge the audience

A "bow to the audience" is most frequently due to applause. Full stop.

< Previous | Next >