<Take a fair hold of/control> beauty, wealth and designation

< Previous | Next >

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
Hi Forum!

Beauty, wealth and designation (high rank):

Every person cannot take a fair hold of/control these three things. When a person has either of these, they sometimes become arrogant and consider other people trivial (of little worth). So a person, if they wish to become a true human being, ought to become humble.

Is the bold part correct here? If not, what verb should I use here?

Thank a lot.

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    What is your source?

If it's your own sentence, please explain what you're trying to say using different words..

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    For example, if Bhagwaan gives someone a lot of wealth, a loving wife, a good house and all what they want, and if they don't value all these blessings of Him [spent his wealth on wrong things like drunkenness etc, divorce the wife etc], then we say that person couldn't [manage/control] the blessings that Bhagwaan gave them.
    Similarly, if a person is on a high post, he becomes arrogant and doesn't value the poor, we say that they couldn't [manage/control] his designation.

"A" couldn't [manage/control/take a fair hold of] the blessings of God -> is no longer able to hold that blessing/is not eligible to be under that blessing/is not worth-having that blessing - We also say that that person was not quite able to have that blessing - God should have blessed the person who was better than him - able to value His blessings.

The context in the OP is self-made. I have tried to make it clear. Hope it makes sense now.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    <---> "Bhagwaan" means "god".

then we say that person couldn't [manage/control] the blessings that ...
    we say that they couldn't [manage/control] his designation.
    We don't say this, not in English at least. I've never heard a phrase like this.

Perhaps what you're looking for is "He took his good fortune for granted" or "He took his blessings for granted".

< Topic drift removed. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I suggest:
    It isn't enough to possess beauty, wealth, and rank - you must know how to handle them properly.

< Previous | Next >