Take a look at my girlfriend (song)

< Previous | Next >

George1992

Hi folks!

In the song "Take a look at my girlfriend" from Gym Class Heroes is the following part ->

Take a look at my girlfriend
She's the only one I got
Not much of
a girlfriend
I never seem to get a lot

I have two questions.
1. Does "got" mean "have" and its meaning is that there has never been another girlfriend before?
2. I don't understand "Not much of". Would you tell me its meaning in German or Spanish, please?

• heypresto

English - England
    It means 'She's the only girlfriend I have'. We can't tell from this how many girlfriends, if any, the speaker has had in the past.

'Not much of' means something like 'not a good example of'.

We don't translate in this forum. It is the English Only forum. You could ask at the German or Spanish forums.

DaylightDelight

Japanese - Tokyo
    1. Does "got" mean "have" and its meaning is that there has never been another girlfriend before?
    It means "she's the only girlfriend I have now." It doesn't say anything about the past.
    2. I don't understand "Not much of". Would you tell me its meaning in German or Spanish, please?
    It means something like "not very great as a girlfirend."

(crossed with heypresto)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I think this is originally from Supertramp and the lyrics goes:
    Take a look at my girlfriend
    She's the only one I got
    Not much of a girlfriend
    Never seem to get along

Read more: Supertramp - Take A Look At My Girlfriend Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Edit:
    Then my understanding of the last two lines is:
    She is not like a normal girlfriend
    (We) never seem to get along
    Metrolyrics seems to be rare in listing "along" as the last line. All the other lyrics sites have "a lot" - rhymes with "got" and that is how I have it stuck in my brain from way back. I think the "along" version is an example of mishearing:)

(Edit: Roger Hodgson - Breakfast in America Lyrics - Classics Live 1 The author's site also has "a lot" )

Last edited:

fiercediva

American English
    It's definitely "get a lot".

Hodgson wrote the song long before he was a member of Supertramp, in 1967 when he was 17 years old. It is the opening song for an album whose theme is life in 1970s U.S. from an outsider's point of view. Since the Gym Class Heroes only use the chorus in their song, the full context isn't there. The young Hodgson thought that going to America, specifically California with its pretty and open-minded girls, would be amazing compared to his relatively drab existence in England. In that context I've always read the line as: he's only got one girlfriend at the moment; she's not that great a girlfriend because she rarely makes herself sexually available to him.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It's definitely "get a lot".

Hodgson wrote the song long before he was a member of Supertramp, in 1967 when he was 17 years old. It is the opening song for an album whose theme is life in 1970s U.S. from an outsider's point of view. Since the Gym Class Heroes only use the chorus in their song, the full context isn't there. The young Hodgson thought that going to America, specifically California with its pretty and open-minded girls, would be amazing compared to his relatively drab existence in England. In that context I've always read the line as: he's only got one girlfriend at the moment; she's not that great a girlfriend because she rarely makes herself sexually available to him.
    :thumbsup:
    Hard to tell if he never gets a lot of girlfriends (I only have one - I was expecting more in America) or never gets a lot of what a girlfriend might, ahem, provide:)

< Previous | Next >